“Who the hell likes being stuck in a place where you can’t even smile? It’s hot as balls, everybody’s an asshole. I just wanna go home.” -Mikal, Wristcutters: A love Story.
This is what I felt like today: hot as balls! (By the way, who came up with this saying? Urban Dictionary’s definition makes sense.) All I know is today was one of those intolerably sticky days! I can stand heat, but NOT humidity. My hair doesn’t appreciate it and I think it would be more tolerable if I had a pool or a beach near by. So in honor of today being so hot I list my top summer movies that make me crave the water:
1. Wet Hot American Summer (2001): Starring Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Janeane Garofalo, Christopher Meloni, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper, Ken Marino…there’s way too many actors, just go to the imdb page! Hysterical and underrated, in my opinion. Paul Rudd is hilarious as Andy, the life guard.
2. Point Break (1991): Starring Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze. Bank robbing surfers, need I say more? This movie make’s me wish I lived right next to the ocean. They make their money and go surfing whenever they want. Here’s the whole movie on youtube, if you’ve never seen it.
3. The Sandlot (1993): If you haven’t seen the movie it’s a classic…at least for me. It’s a very quotable film and the pool scene is of one of the most memorable. Where “Squints” jumps into the deep-end, even though he can’t swim. You could say it was an attempt at suicide…but he did it for love.
4. From Here to Eternity (1953): Even if you’ve never seen this movie, you’ll know this famous, “scandalous” kiss anywhere. You know the one, trust me. Takes place on a beautiful beach in Hawaii. Who doesn’t fantasize about a kiss like that?
5. CaddyShack (1980): Starring Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray. Probably the most L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y pool scene EVER.
What are your favorite movie scenes with pools, lakes or beaches involved?